The Guardian Open Platform
Opening up the world's best journalism
This API is best for accessing news stories and content from The Guardian, one of the world's leading publications.
The Guardian Open Platform allows developers to access The Guardian's vast archives of articles and content. Through the API, developers can access the entire archive, including content dating back to 1821. This gives developers unique insights into the power of data and the ability to create powerful applications with real-time and interactive features. The Guardian Open Platform also has a range of features that make it easy to research and retrieve content.
- Real-time push notifications
- full article search and retrieval
- interactive maps
- keyword search
- and more.
Potential use cases
- News Story Chrome Extension: Create a Chrome extension that displays stories from The Guardian within the browser experience. Stories would update in real-time and users could customize their feeds to reflect the topics or locations they are interested in.
- Political Analysis App: Create an interactive web app using the Guardian Open Platform to provide real-time analysis of political news around the world. Visualisations of the trends can be generated and stories could be displayed to illustrate causes and effects.
- Historical Reference Tool: Develop a tool which can search the entire Guardian archive and find trends in news content over time. Visualisations of the trends can be generated and stories can be fed into deeper analysis tools such as sentiment analysis.
- The New York Times APIs
- ABC News APIs
- BBC News APIs
- Financial Times APIs