The powerful open source engine powering Wikipedia and its siblings
This API is best for content sharing, organization, and development of websites and applications.
Developers should use this API because it provides a powerful and flexible way to develop applications which leverage the vast amount of information in MediaWiki. With the MediaWiki API, it's possible to quickly develop apps which manage user accounts, retrieve content from pages, connect multiple sources, and much more.
- The MediaWiki API is the interface by which external applications interact with the MediaWiki software. It includes methods for retrieving page content
- editing pages
- performing search queries and managing user accounts.
Potential use cases
- Social Wiki Project Collaboration Software: A social media-style project collaboration app built on top of MediaWiki APIs, allowing teams to collaborate and organize content in an efficient way
- MediaWiki Search Tool: A search tool that allows users to quickly look up information by querying MediaWiki databases
- Virtual Encyclopedia: A virtual encyclopedia that links to and extracts information from multiple MediaWiki databases
- DokuWiki API
- TiddlyWiki API
- TinyMCE API